Primary care providers play an important role in the care of cancer survivors regardless of whether the survivors continue to also be followed by oncologists and/or other specialists.
Comprehensive care must include:
- Prevention and surveillance for recurrences, including assessment of genetics and other risk factors
- Surveillance and management of physical late effects of cancer and its treatment
- Surveillance and management of psychosocial effects of cancer and its treatment
- General medical care, including management of chronic conditions, disease prevention and health promotion
- Care coordination, communication/decision making